BTEC Performing Arts
Course contact: Ms Thorp - firstname.lastname@example.org
Specification: BTEC Tech Award
Return to Year 9 Options Homepage
This Drama course will provide a practical and theoretical understanding of the Performing Arts Industry. In a practical environment, you will develop acting and performance skills to enable you to work as part of a production team. You will have the opportunity to experience and become a part of live theatre. This course also offers technical role opportunities, including lighting, costume, set and sound as well as opportunities to perform within your class, school and community and visits to the theatre to watch a live performance.
Component 1: Exploring the Performing Arts - You will develop your understanding of the performing arts by examining the work of performing arts professionals and the processes used to create a performance. This will involve both practical and written work.
Component 2: Developing Skills and Techniques - You will develop your performing arts skills and techniques by reproducing acting repertoire (script) as performers. This will involve both practical and written work.
Component 3: Performing to a Brief - You will be given the opportunity to work as part of a group to contribute to a workshop performance as a performer responding to a brief and stimulus. This will involve both practical and written work.
A typical lesson might involve...
- Vocal and physical workshops to focus your mind whilst developing and improving your acting skills
- Reading, analysing and discussing a repertoire (script)
- Interpreting a scene/s from a professional repertoire, experimenting with different styles, skills and techniques
- Working as part of a group: planning, creating, rehearsing and performing a devised drama piece in front of a live audience
- Watching and reviewing theatre performances
- Completing written various tasks
How will I be assessed?
- Component 1: Exploring the Performing Arts (Internal) 30% of the qualification
- Component 2: Developing Skills and Techniques in the Performing Arts (Internal) 30% of the qualification
- Component 3: Responding to a Brief (External) 40% of the qualification
If you are viewing on mobile - please click here to download the departmental details