WJEC Level 1 & 2 - Hospitality & Catering
Course contact: Mr Hart - email@example.com
Specification: WJEC Level 1 & 2
Return to Year 9 Options Homepage
Hospitality and Catering is a dynamic, vibrant and innovative sector delivering vital jobs, growth and investment in the heart of our local communities - important culturally, socially and economically.
Throughout the course, students will gain the knowledge, understanding and skills required to cook and apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating. It encourages learners to cook, enables them to make informed decisions about food and nutrition and allows them to acquire knowledge in order to be able to feed themselves and others aï¬€ordably and nutritiously, now and later in life. It is an ideal course for students who may choose a career in the Hospitality and Catering industry.
A typical lesson might involve...
- Practical lessons developing your practical skills and learning how to cook dishes
- Presentation skills in how to present food to a high standard
- Theory work developing your knowledge
- Investigations and experiments in how ingredients work
How will I be assessed?
The course is divided into two units.
- Unit 1: The Hospitality and Catering Industry - 40% of final grade (1hr 20 minutes written examination)
- Unit 2: Hospitality and Catering in Action - 60% of final grade (approx. 12 hours controlled assessment)
You should choose Hospitality and Catering if...
- You enjoy cooking and developing and creating new dishes
- You are interested in how food works
- You are hands on and can work under pressure
- You have a passion for food
What qualifications will I achieve and what could I do afterwards?
You will achieve a Level 1 - 2 in hospitality and catering.
After completing the course you may be able to extend your learning and complete a course in:
- WJEC Level 3 Food, Science and Nutrition (certificate and diploma)
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery
- Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Food Preparation and Cookery Supervision
Hospitality is the third largest private sector employer in the UK. Employment can range from waiting staff, receptionists and catering assistants to chefs, hotel and bar managers, and food technologists working for supermarket chains.
Some of these roles require further education and training either through apprenticeships or further and higher education.
(If you are viewing on mobile - please click here to download the departmental details)