btec - Health & Social Care
Course contact: Mr Hart - firstname.lastname@example.org
Specification: BTEC Tech Award
BTEC Health and Social Care allows students to develop applied knowledge in the life stages and the key characteristics in physical, intellectual, emotional and social (PIES) development classifications. It also explores the different factors that can affect an individual’s growth and development in different life events and how individuals can adapt or be supported through changes caused by life events.
It also looks at different health and social care conditions, how the individual can manage them, and the available health and social care services. Students will learn about the barriers and obstacles an individual may encounter and how these can be overcome, and the skills, attributes and values required to give care and how these benefit the individual.
Other areas of focus include discovering how factors can affect an individual’s current health and wellbeing, how physiological indicators and lifestyle choices determine physical health and the use of the person-centred approach. Students will also learn recommendations and actions to improve health and wellbeing, the barriers or obstacles individuals may face when following advice, and the support available to overcome.
A typical lesson might involve...
- Investigations into care human life, care services and care values
- Peer and self-assessment on case studies
- Researching different aspects on Health & Social Care
- Writing and evaluating reports
How will I be assessed?
Learners are required to complete and achieve all three components in the qualification.
- Component 1 - Human Lifespan Development (Internal – externally moderated)
- Component 2 - Health and Social Care Services and Values (Internal – externally moderated)
- Component 3- Health and Wellbeing Exam (taken in February in Year 11)
You should choose Health and Social Care if...
- You will enjoy studying the life stages and wellbeing of people
- You enjoy thinking about and applying your knowledge and skills on diï¬€erent care services