Quick Links

Quick Links

Early Help Offer

Harper Green School understands the importance of supporting families as soon as an issue arises to minimise the impact on a students learning and progress. One of the ways we do this is through Early Help.

Early Help is a way to support families. We understand, as a school, that sometimes being a parent can be difficult and that families may need some additional support from time to time. Sometimes this support is only required for a short period of time, however, there are occasions when families may need support for a more extended period of time. Harper Green School will signpost places and services to help you get the support you need.

Early Help is a holistic process that helps you recognise as a family what’s going well for you, where you may benefit from extra help and who is the best person to work with your family to make this happen. If after discussing this, an Early Help Assessment (EHA) may be opened.

Early Help Assessment

This starts with an Early Help conversation. You’ll have a meeting with an Early Help Lead in school, which is usually your child’s Pastoral Co-ordinator, as they know your child well. Sometimes it may be the Welfare Officer or the school SEND Co-ordinator. In this conversation, they will let you know what sort of help is available and what we can do to support you during this time.

This conversation might lead to an Early Help Assessment (EHA), enabling us to get a complete picture of the whole family. We use it to help you see what is working well and identify areas where you may need extra support. We use this assessment to refer to other agencies within Bolton that can offer specialist support in the identified areas.

Areas of specialist support may include:

  • Behaviour
  • Attendance
  • School nursing service
  • Family support
  • Drugs and Alcohol Service
  • Bereavement Support
  • Counselling
  • Parental support

This specialist support is in addition to support offered within school.

It‘s your choice to take part in the Early Help Assessment, and you can choose who else should be involved. Assessments will be done with you, not to you, and you will have plenty of opportunities to ask for advice.

Every person and family are different, but an Early Help Assessment (EHA) will:

  • Help you and others to see what support you might need
  • Create a picture of your family’s circumstances, which can be shared with your permission, so you don’t have to repeat yourself to different workers
  • Help you be part of a team of people working together on the same plan to improve things in the areas identified by you as requiring support/help
  • Signpost and refer you to other agencies within Bolton that may be able to support you and your family

What happens after the Early Help Assessment?

With your permission, people from different organisations working with your family will share information and work together to help support you and your children. You will also agree on what the goals are on the Early Help Assessment and when they will be reviewed.

Why do I need to give my permission (also known as consent)?

Your personal information belongs to you. Agencies can’t share your information unless you agree because your information is protected by law under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).

What is an ‘Early Help’ meeting?

The family and workers involved come together to make a support plan. This is reviewed regularly to ensure that progress is being made for your family and that the right support is in place.

At this meeting, a lead professional will be chosen, and this is usually the person that knows the family the best and is someone you can discuss any concerns with.
Your lead professional will arrange the review meetings and be someone you can speak to at any point about any concerns or issues you and your family are experiencing.

Would you like to talk to someone?

If you would like to talk to someone, you can ask the Pastoral Co-ordinator for your child's year group for more information about support available. 

If you need further support and guidance, please contact:

  • Your local Sure Start Centre
  • Your local library or community centre